More than a million babies around the world in the last twenty years can thank a young New Zealand mother for her wonderful idea. She had seen long term hospital patients benefit from lying on sheepskin bed pads, and felt that sheepskin might help relieve the pain of her child who was in the hospital with a broken thigh. It worked – the sheepskin gave her child great comfort. The mother then thought that newborn babies might benefit from the security and comfort of a natural wool sleeper. A four year development program began to find the perfect sheepskin for babies. After an extensive testing program, Babycare sheepskins went on sale in 1970 and were an instant success. Today they are sought after by caring mothers all over the world.
Unshorn: This is the sheepskin in its natural state, retaining the plush silkiness of an unshorn lamb.
Shorn: This version is clipped to a uniform short pile.
|Unshorn || |
32 to 37 inches
1.6 to 2.7 inches
|Shorn || |
35 to 41 inches
| Babycare Information by Topic: |
Still have questions about Babycare sheepskins? Email us.
Babycare sheepskins are perfect for the car seat, the stroller, for play and on the move! They provide a warm and secure baby comforter 24 hours a day. They are also a great comfort for older children when ill or convalescing in bed.Below are some of the benefits of Babycare sheepskins:
- Promote better sleep: Babies sleep longer and more soundly on Babycare sheepskins.
- Calms and soothes: Soft wool fibers are a delight to touch,calming and soothing baby. Helps sooth the fussy baby in the car seat, as there are no crinkles, creases, and pressure points causing discomfort. Helps comfort colicky children too.
- Perfect all year round: Nature's insulation. Wool keeps baby warm and cozy in cold weather. In warm weather, wool absorbs moisture,which is then released into the air ensuring baby stays drier and comfortable at all times.
- The go-anywhere bed: Young travelers will feel secure in unfamiliar places with their Babycare sheepskin. Use Babycare everywhere,everyday for years.
- Sanitized for lasting hygiene: Babycare sheepskins are sanitized to ensure protection against bacteria through many washes.
- Easy to care for: Babycare sheepskins require less care than other baby bedding. Just machine wash and dry once a month. Full care instructions are shown below.
Machine or hand wash in cold or warm water (not to exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit) using a mild detergent. We recommend Pure Castile, biodegradable camp soaps or Eucalan Wool wash. Do not use Woolite or laundry detergents such as Tide. It is important to use detergents which are non-alkaline, non-iconic and do not contain biological enzymes. Bleach/enzymes counter-act the tanning process causing damage to the sheepskin. Bowron sheepskin may also be dry cleaned using either white spirits, hydrocarbon or perchlorethylene. Line dry or dry flat and stretch to shape while damp. Severe heat will damage sheepskins resulting in shrinking and hardening of the pelts.
Your Babycare sheepskin may have been tightly packaged for shipping, making the wool appear flattened. Wool fibers are very resilient and will bounce back to their original springy appearance.A vigorous shake will help restore the soft, fluffy appearance of the wool.Any fold marks from packaging will disappear once the skin has been removed from the package for several days.Storage Instructions:
Should you wish to store your sheepskin at any time, place it in a cool airy place avoiding direct sunlight. Packaging in plastic bags for an extended period of time is not recommended as the sheepskin fibers will not breathe and condensation may occur in warm conditions